Friday, March 06, 2009

Emerald Lake Slidepath

So today my good old friend Mario was in town and we wanted to head up high into the mountains and find some reasonable skiing. After deciding to check out the Emerald Lake "zone", we coffee'd up and shot down the road and started up the main slide-path, eyes open and ears perked ready for signs of instability. The day was amazing and after digging around in the snow and finding the surface hoar that is raking the Rockies, we ripped off the skins and enjoyed a surprisingly good run back down to the lake. As we descended we couldnt believe that we were as luck as we were with the day, the weather and the ski conditions- despite the spooky basal facets and surface hoar layers. Great to be out with my good old friend!



Chief getting a good look at the snowpack, this dog loves skiing.
Near the Alpine on the Slidepath.
Mario reaping the sweet rewards.


Enjoying the Sun. Soon after, Mario parted ways back to Revy and I went over to the Truffle Pigs cafe in Field for a double americano and apple strudel to go. Happy and content.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is such a beautiful area and although I've been around there many times I never get tired of it. However, I have never been up there in the winter so I guess I will have to hire you to be my guide and start a little back country skiing next winter.
The double Americano and treat at Truffle PIgs also sounds great!!
DustyD