Monday, April 26, 2010

Mt. Collie

A great time was had by Zach and I up on the Wapta these last two days as we climbed and skied a classic ski peak, Mt. Collie. I have never really given this zone of the super-popular icefield much thought but as I thumbed through my worn copy of Summits and Icefields, there it was looking like a really great thing to do.


Passing through the usual canyon on the approach to Bow Hut one usually keeps their boards attached to feet but as spring approaches its time to get nasty.
Our camp with Collie behind. Norman Collie was a British academic who on a few occasions, set the local standard by climbing the remote (at that time) giants of the Canadian Rockies. I've always thought to myself that his first ascent of the N Ridge of Athabasca and the impending "first sight" of the huge Columbia Icefields to be one of the great moments of Canadian climbing history.
Looking down on camp during an evening ski of the lower slopes of Collie.
Summit Ridge.
Great descent. There was a rock hard slab with about 15 cm of lightly pressed powder laying on top which gave you the similar feeling to halloween as a child, without the sugar hangover.

All in all, Collie is one of my favourite places I have been on the Wapta. Great to be out with a good friend in these wonderful mountains.

No comments: