Thursday, October 28, 2010

California and Times

Well I just got home from another jaunt to California for meetings with patagonia. Apart from seeing the coolest assortment of technical apparel I have seen in many years, highlights included spending time with the two other Canadian reps, Denis Delorme and Melissa Trudel. We enjoyed amazing dinners (pretty much everything I ordered was braised, my favourite) with Melissa and Denis as well as many other great patagonia folks as we enjoyed the hospitality of Ventura and the environs.

As usual, Rob and I managed 3 days of climbing after the meeting- this time we set our sites once again on that fab so-cal climbing mecca- Joshua Tree. The climbing is honest and so is the vegetation which can only be described as "sharp". We had a great time getting schooled in the art of balance.
We stopped at Trader Joes, the most amazing grocery store in the lower 48. You can find bargains here that will blow your mind: Almond Butter 3.99, Penfolds Malbec 7.99 and much much more. At J Tree we enjoyed some TJ's coffee.
Rob on "figures on a landscape" 10b. Rob had wanted to do this 3 pitch route for 15 years. This trip I was not in top form and I declined the offer of joining him on this heady route. My shoulder injuries have sidelined my brain as well as my right arm extension prowess. Suffice to say I felt bad about turning this dream upside down especially since we had hiked here just to do this route. Being a good friend, Rob came down happy as a clam and we figured out a new plan for the day.
After a good trip it is time to spend some quality time with Erin, getting our place ready and planning our 3 weeks while I am in town. There is talk of La Nina again this winter and I am vibrating with the thought of skiing, as I ski more seasons I am realizing that there will always be something out there to do with skis on foot, bad conditions or good- being out in the real environment is all I need.

Cheers all, happy Autumn.

No comments: