Thursday, September 08, 2011

Road Sounds Redux

Lately I have been traveling a lot. Some for the operatives of work and some for the simple joy of road tripping with friends, dogs, coffee and more. Either way you look at it, I have spent more time away from home this year than ever, giving me a new scope on the coffee shop landscape in BC as well as an ever growing music collection; here dear reader is a short laundry list of the albums heard on my last trip brought to you once again from the Starbucks in Kamloops..


M83 Saturday = Youth
Melodic and eery residual 80's sounds for you, very good. Described as opening a love letter from the 80's. Can't remember where I got that..



Mariachi El Bronx
Interesting blend of tightly knit Mariachi band mixed with "cake" like vocals, good lyrics. Sometimes disturbing/compelling and the music is so damn catchy. Good.
Amon Tobin : Permutations
An electronic classic, when Mike Pollard first played this for me I was floored. Ambient alien sounds mixed with rock solid drum and base.
Murs and 9th Wonder - Murrays Revenge.
A good rap album from Mur's, a departure from his earlier stuff, more introspective and thought full. less ego and gun clapping.
Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet.
What can I say...probably a top ten for me..extra brilliance in that in addition to Walkin' and relaxin', was recorded before the switch of record labels and to essentially fulfill a contratctual agreement. They did a few of these albums, the last Miles Davis' cool jazz works in a matter of months. They are all considered standard albums and jazz wonderfreund. Miles went on to set his own perimeters with the explosive sounds of Bitches Brew and others..

Girl Talk - ALL DAY
A mash up classic and a genre defining album. Crazy for the uninitiated but brilliant noise to others. I like.

No comments: