Thursday, May 31, 2012

Verve yo-jimbo's

The famous Yo-Jimbo's.

A friend sold them to me in 1996 after a realization that climbing was not for him, back in 96' this is what people wore climbing, wore to the bar after climbing, to the cafe, whatever - It was "de'rigour". Rolled up jeans, etc were not 'cool' as they are now. Nowadays it is stylish to give the impression that you have not 'dressed for climbing'...couldn't do that with the Yo-Jimbo. You dressed to GO climbing!

I coveted these things. They have seen hundreds of days, I competed, bouldered, plugged gear and pitched off many sport routes while donning these fire engine red capris. In about 2002 I cut the legs off to make a few 'sweet' headbands for my long flowing locks and used the new shorts with their 'update' for many more years.  One summer I spent nearly 3 weeks straight in them while climbing in Squamish. We ate potatoes every day for dinner, walked into town from the campsite with supplies as we had no car, borrowed quarters to call home and generally lived the life of dreams.
I haven't used them in quite a while. In about 2008 I pulled them out for a day at cougar creek. The blended fabric moved and stretched with me while I climbed, they felt amazing. Looker by's excercised caution as they approached, I could tell they had not seen a grown man wearing bright red 'stretchy pants' before. I was a happy though, in my bubble...
Thanks Verve Yo-Jimbo. It has been a great ride. I will not throw you out though,  as it would be too painful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahahaha...love 'em!