Saturday, January 05, 2013

Whats in the pack - Ski Touring.

I have been working towards having the least amount of equipment for a SAFE (prepared) day in the backcountry for a quite a while...
Having run into a few 'snags' over the years (bone breaks, injured skier evacuations and the need to clear timber for a helipad) there are a few things I will never leave at home and a few items I will throw in if the trip is a little more committing, described here is the minimum set up for a day of skiing without glacier travel.

Clockwise:

1) Patagonia Winter Sun Hoody: A warm up jacket is key, even for short trips - The ability to stay warm at tea or sandwich stops, pad or warm up an injured skier or throw on for the descent,  powder trying to find its way into every orifice; I won't leave home without it! Gore Windstopper being used very well in this piece for added weather resistance...

2) FA Kit with SPOT, Radio...more on this on another post..(SPOT has saved the day for my group on one occasion..)

3) Shades - Something polarized is a nice luxury but the wayfarer type with the neon arms are really cool in whistler right now.....your call.

4) Goggles - Key, I like a low light lens...If its bright I ski down with shades, just like Bernie Schiesser.

5) Thermos and bottle w/Insulated sleeve - Hydrate MAN!

6) G3 Alpinist skins - Apologies to my 2 friends that work for other skin manufacturers (that I haven't tried) but I do love these skins, now that the tip doesn't whip off when you do the anti-terrorist skin removal (while standing, very advanced) they are even better! The glide man, its all about the glide, if your slipping back with any skin its TOO steep ;-)

7) GPS, Transciever, Sunscreen, Headlamp - On every trip!

8) Sun hat (I'm a bald man, a very bald man)

9)  Gloves x 3 (warm, medium and leather work glove)

10) BCA Stash 30 pack, Awesome. It came with a bunch of extra straps and gizmos which I cut off...(3 ways to hold skis, helmet holder, etc)

11) Probe, Shovel (You can judge a persons character by their shovel, serious)

12) Volie Ski strap, the LONG one. Always leave the house with one of these babies, I've seen the Fritschi binding explode too many times not to, these will fix that (by strapping the boot to the rail), a broken boot buckle, pack buckle and many other backcountry ailments.

13) Bone Saw - This thing has saved my bacon a few times now so I bring it everywhere, getting the mail included...It can rip a 8" tree apart in 30 seconds and it does wonders for your fore arm training in the off season.

Next up...First Aid and Repair Kits!!

 Happy Skiing!
R




2 comments:

Tys von Gaza said...

Thanks dude! Will have to look into the hoody and been meaning to grab a spot for awhile. Looking forward to the FA and RK posts.

Unknown said...

WORK GLOVE!!! Can't think of the number of times I've needed a work glove.... Thanks Ross! Sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to see. Youdaman

Great Post.