Sunday, March 31, 2013

Espresso Sessions vol 1

"The soul often knows what the body needs, the trick is to convince the mind"

I saw this quote recently while on a rather laborious duration of ski touring, not a 'typical' day out, this was a 24 hour ski a thon including 8800m of elevation and required one to 'dig a little deeper' then normal. I knew it would not be type 'A' fun at the get go but given the company, the cause and a strange idiosyncratic curiosity I had to see if i could 'get through it', I was in.

The above quote met every contestant as they slogged uphil, at about the 3/4 mark of a 450 M climb. If you did the thing solo(which I was coerced into), that would mean 18 views of the quote, a team of three meant 6, 2 meant 9; you get it. The wonderful simplicity and meaning of these words have hit a chord and since then I think I have made a few decisions differently...

You see, dear reader, I am guilty of advanced FOMO (fear of missing out) when it comes to skiing and I do not like it, not one bit. Every other 'sport' I do does not involve this interesting F word at all, climbing, biking, running, dog walking, hiking...nope, just skiing. The other day, while considering a ski outing I have been wanting to do since I first heard of it and my mind was a blaze with the thought, I looked at the +21 temps and trying very very very hard to think of a reason to go it hit me like a tonne of bricks, why force something when it doesn't make sense (to you) to do it?

Instead, I enjoyed the wonderful weather, grabbed rock shoes, bikes, hung with Erin and poured espresso. Its bound to get colder again and if not, what can you do?

This may be a small step in eradicating the FOMO bug.

 "The soul often knows what the body needs, the trick is to convince the mind"

1 comment:

Michelle Katchur Roberts said...

I can identify all to well with the F word. Back in the rockies we've had warm temps and rain. Yesterday morning I got up a 4AM to ski Hero's nob. Nope, not up at 4AM to bag a super cool peak or get into a sick couloir. Yup, 4AM for a simple tour in K-country to beat the late AM crust breakdowns and enjoy some turns. Although, I have to admit, it was well worth it. The N facing snow still thought it was winter :)