Friday, May 06, 2016

Thats a wrap!

Well that's it! What a great season of ski-touring on the South Coast and in BC in general, just so good. Personally, one of the best seasons of skiing I have ever had and the conditions were only part of it. Partners this season were plentiful and motivated, laughter abounded and many 'Ive always wanted to do that!" trips were achieved.

As the season comes to an end and motivations for climbing sunny granite or tail whipping the bike through the shady forest on perfect loam grow stronger, the odd trip plan pulls the skis out of the moth balls but for the most part, I am very content to wrap it up, a feeling I don't normally have in the late spring, an indication of a terrific season I think.

I thought I would share some of the highlights of the last few weeks, as you may have noticed, I didn't do many posts this season. The skiing was just too good and plentiful, I would typically wake up early, make espresso, walk our very energetic dog in the darkness of morning, drive to the approach, ski all day and get home in the dark, gear barely drying for the next days adventures. So went my weekly two days off as well as the normal mid week dawn patrol missions and of course,  the occasional work week day of PD :-).  House improvements and other normal life stuff took a back burner and Erin was incredibly understanding with my pursuits after two seasons of way too much of that stuff due to slow winters and low-tide.

Joffre and Matier:

I tried the triple crown two times this year (Joffre, Matier, Slalok) but was denied both times. However on one trip we were able to ski Matiers NE face in boot top blower and I have to say it was one of the best pitches of skiing I have ever done, which overshadowed the T crown and I still makes me good and giddy and smiley when I think of it..
Aussie.


As I mentioned, partners were awesome this year. Felix and Sarah being great.




About to drop in....SO GOOD!

Currie Zone:

4 days skiing lines behind Currie were outstanding and needed after a long work stint. We skied lines and from summits every day with perfect weather. Traveling light and camping in the mega light, we could cover lots of terrain and enjoy the travel.











Mt. Mamquam:

Chris and I had one of my favorite ski days I've had on Mt. Mamquam. An easy drive, hike through old growth and perfect conditions traveling through the complex icefield and to a pointy super-cool summit, all topped off with a 1000m corn run to treeline and cold beers in the creek. Nothing steep or Xtreme but a very classy peak and one I look at almost every day from town.







II want to thank my partners first and foremost for such an awesome season. Till next year!

No comments: