Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Mt. Resplendent

A few weeks back, John peachell had asked me if I could come with him on a trip to Mt. Reslendent. Having had plans already to try a longer traverse, I had to decline the invitation, too many great trips and too little time. A few days later I spoke to my friends and they had bad news, they couldnt make the traverse. I called up John and he had one spot left so I hopped aboard for Resplendent.





What can I say, the trip was stellar. Doug, Allan, Liz,the Johns and myself shot up to the berg lake shelter for some big eats and rest before the next big day. We weaved up through ice falls and crevasses eventually gaining the summit block and the 100 year old cornices. We donned the crampons and kicked steps to the summit proper, all of us pyhsched from the great weather and snow conditions. Back at the col we put the skis back on and "let the skis run", not without near mishap however. At one point, Alan's ski ejected and shot like a farmers snot rocket towards the impending icefalls of the Robson Amphitheater. Luckily for all, Alan left the skin on and the ski came to a stop just before taking the plunge. The team also got a lesson in cornice failure as we treaded down the summit ridge. The group (I) followed old tracks that came as close as 2m away from the cornice edge up and down the ridge. I, the last on the rope and John O were walking along on the way down when the snow opened up between our legs and we could see the slope below the east face, 40m of full season cornice released and rolled down onto the glacier below, but not before making John and I's stomachs take a journey north to the throat! The run down the glacier is truly one of the great ski descents in the Rockies and we all savoured the final views of the icefalls and our tracks laid down in the corn snow. Later on as we sat in the warmth of the sun on the porch of the Berg lake shelter, I could look around and see happiness in the faces of my new friends, we had done one of the best ski trips we could imagine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Ross!!!

What an amazing trip for you the group!!! Sounds totally thrilling and a nice adventure. Glad no one was hurt when the cornice let go.

Dave S